Asian Supper Club @wholefoodsmarket_southstreet
Course 1: Spicy Kimchi Dashi & Tofu Ramen Bowls
Toasted #Tahini #Sesame Seeds #scallions #kombu #foodpornindex
Email Lindsey.Kane@wholefoods.com to Sign up for April’s Mediterranean Supper Club (at Whole Foods Market South Street)
- 1 16-oz. package tofu, cut into 1” pieces
- Low sodium vegetable broth (as needed)
- 4 cups gently squeezed cabbage kimchi, chopped, plus 1 cup liquid
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste, see “stock your pantry)
- 8 scallions, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted tahini (see “stock your pantry”)
- Freshly ground black pepper, pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 8-10 oz of Ramen Noodles
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce heat, carefully add tofu, and simmer gently until slightly puffed and firmed up, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tofu to a medium bowl.
Bring 6 quarts of water and kombu to a boil. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Carefully blend a few pieces of Kombu with boiling water into a smooth broth. (Dashi)
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add kimchi and gochujang and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5–8 minutes, adding splashes of low sodium vegetable broth or water as needed. Add kimchi liquid and the Kombu stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until kimchi is softened and translucent, 35–40 minutes.
Add scallions, tamari sauce, and tofu; simmer gently until tofu has absorbed flavors, 20–25 minutes (tofu will fall apart a little). Season with salt and pepper.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop the ramen noodles into the boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Rinse and drain. Distribute ramen into bowls, and ladle stew over the ramen. Drizzle with toasted tahini, topped with toasted sesame seeds.